I thought it would be fun to take a quick look at some “Before & After” shots of some of the individual pieces in the boys’ room, as well as give a little source list of where things came from. If you’re just stopping by for the first time – here’s a quick rundown of what has gone on around here. I made over our sons’ shared bedroom in 2 weeks while being filmed for a series of super short segments for HLN. It’s finally done! We’re all breathing a sigh of relief and I’m propping my feet up for a while.
Now, for the “Before and Afters.”
I just re-covered the chair with new fabric. I didn’t want to do anything permanent in case we decide to use this chair somewhere else in the future. I got a serious deal on it at the thrift store, too!
We found this night stand for a steal on Craigslist. I gave it this paint and glaze treatment and replaced the top drawer pull with one from Hobby Lobby.
Both of these lamps were brass to begin with, but I had previously spray painted the dresser lamp silver. That lamp belonged to my in-laws during my husband’s childhood. He ended up with it and attempted to get rid of it when we moved a year ago, but I rescued it and now I’m so glad I did. The lamp on the night stand was a few bucks at the thrift store. I bought a cheap white shade at Lowe’s for the night stand lamp, and already had the other white shade stored in a closet. I added ribbon trim to both shades and will post a tutorial soon with the easy method I used.
These frames were found by my friend Erica for just a couple bucks each at a thrift store. I removed the artwork and backing, spray painted them navy blue and mounted them on the wall with each boy’s initial inside.
This magazine holder was found for a couple bucks at a thrift store, and it had a shiny brass finish. I spray painted it the same navy color as the frames and lamps, and now it sits next to their chair and holds a few of the boys’ favorite books.
I found this cute basket at HomeGoods, complete with chalkboard label.
Here is a photo of the room so you have a frame of reference for the rest of the items I’ll mention.
- The curtains were plain white panels which I added stripes to. Those, along with the comforters and twin mattress, came from IKEA.
- The green sheets and white bed skirts came from Target.
- I ordered the fabric for the throw pillows from Fabric.com.
- The cute navy frame in the center of the wall came from Hobby Lobby.
- The cute little black clock on the night stand also came from Hobby Lobby several years ago.
- The little wooden monkey on the night stand was a souvenir from a family vacation.
- The little sock monkey came from Target a few years ago, and the teddy bear on Aiden’s bed was a gift for him from his daddy when he was born. He sleeps with it every night.