Seeing as how I have a garage full of scrap wood since I finished our outdoor table, I’m trying to find lots of fun ways to use it. One thing I threw together was this Scrap Wood + Mason Jar Centerpiece. I love mason jar centerpieces in general, so I wanted to make my own.
Here are the tools and materials I used:
- RYOBI sliding compound miter saw (although for this project, any saw will do)
- RYOBI cordless brad nailer
- 2 inch finish nails
- Wood Glue
- Minwax Pre-Stain Conditioner
- Minwax Stain and Sealer in Dark Walnut
As for the wood, here are my dimensions but you can modify yours depending on what type of scraps you have around or whatever you have access to.
- 2 – 2x6s cut to 17 3/4″ long (for the sides)
- 2 – 2x6s cut to 6 1/2″ long (for the ends)
- A fence picket cut to 17 3/4″ long (for the bottom)
It was really easy and literally just took a few minutes. I just cut a few pieces of wood with my miter saw, then used glue and my cordless brad nailer to attach everything. A good old fashioned hammer and nails would work fine too, it would just take a little longer.
The sides were cut from a 2×6 and the bottom is actually a fence picket cut down to size. (These are great for little projects like this because they are super cheap!) I stained it with Minwax Dark Walnut and inserted 5 mason jars to hold pretty flowers.
Guys, seriously, it took 5 minutes to measure, cut and attach everything and then 5 more minutes to stain it. (Here’s a furniture staining tutorial for you.) I’ll round up and say this is a 15 minute project. Add a little extra time if you don’t use a nail gun or miter saw. You can modify the size depending on what type of wood you have access to.
The flowers were courtesy of my sweet husband.
Do you have any other suggestions for scrap wood projects? I still have lots of scraps in the garage!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE POSTS:
- DIY Outdoor Serving Station
- Swiss Cross Paver Planter
- Entrway Bench Plans and Tutorial
- DIY Faux Concrete Planter
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.