I recently shared our master bedroom makeover for the One Room Challenge, and one of my favorite projects in the room was this IKEA TARVA Hack. I transformed the 3-drawer TARVA chest into a custom nightstand for our room, and our existing desk serves as the nightstand on the other side. Today, I’ll walk you through the step by step process of how I made over this piece of furniture and created a totally custom look.
Project Supply List:
- IKEA Tarva 3-Drawer Chest (You can find it on Amazon here.)
- Paint (I used Behr Marquee color matched to Benjamin Moore Onyx in Satin finish)
- Paintbrush (I used this Zibra Triangle Brush and the Zibra Chiseled Wedge Brush.)
- Glass and Brass handles from Hobby Lobby
- Sanding Block
- 4 Turned Bun Feet (I got mine from The Home Depot. Similar here.)
- 4 Heavy Duty Metal Top Plates
- (4) – 1/4″ thick x 2″ W Poplar Hobby Boards
- Brad Nailer
- 3/4″ Brad Nails
- Wood Glue
- Paintable Caulk
- Caulking Gun
- Wood Filler
- Putty Knife
- Satin Polycrylic
- Saw (I used a miter saw, but a hand saw will do.)
IKEA TARVA HACK TUTORIAL
I started with a basic unfinished wood 3-drawer IKEA TARVA chest (here), which costs $79.99. I assembled it as directed.
I marked the legs with a pencil where they connect to the base. I wanted to cut them so they would be flush with the bottom, allowing me to add different legs/feet later.
I removed the legs and cut them where I had marked my pencil lines, leaving me with about 2 inch blocks. I sanded them and then reattached them to the chest.
I attached metal top plates to each corner of the bottom of the chest.
I screwed the bun feet into the bases. (They come with bolts already attached to them.)
Next, I turned my attention to the drawers. I measured the distance between screws on my new hardware (note, quality control for the Hobby Lobby handles is not top notch, so many of the screws were bent and/or different widths apart.) I marked the distance on painter’s tape and used that as my template, and then drilled holes for the new hardware. I used wood filler to cover the old pre-drilled hole, and then sanded it smooth.
I cut 1/4″ thick Poplar hobby board (about 2 inches wide) to fit the perimeter of my drawer fronts using my miter saw, and then attached them with wood glue and brad nails.
Next, I caulked all of the seams with paintable DAP caulk, and after it dried I sanded everything smooth.
I coated the entire piece with a coat of primer, and then painted it using Behr Marquee color matched to Benjamin Moore’s Onyx in a satin finish, and added a Satin Polycrylic topcoat for protection.
I installed the new handles and now it looks like a brand spankin’ new piece of furniture.
And here’s a little pinnable graphic for you. I’d love it if you would share!:
Here is a little slideshow video of the process:
- Master Bedroom Makeover Reveal
- How to Paint Furniture: A Beginner’s Guide
- 9 IKEA Bookcase Hacks
- 13 IKEA Curtain Hacks
- or check out my project gallery here!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You can also connect with me here: